Monday 24 November 2014

Day 38, price of a pint


I have no idea how much a pint costs now.  I have no idea how much a pint cost in 1990.  I do remember that a pint of Mansfield cost 75p in The Springvale on Commonside in about 1998.

So here's 85p, which I am guessing was roughly the price of a pint in 1990.



75p was a very good price for a pint.  Two pints is £1.50, etc, easy to calculate.  The Springvale was a bloody awful pub back then, and as far as I can tell never improved.  I fitted an intercom for the landlord, and received some beer in return.  It wasn't worth it.  Probably the best thing about it was the cock awful jukebox and the residents of the hostel down the road singing along to various songs that failed to be hits in the 1960s.

I generally only drink halves now and my visits to pubs are pretty rare, the last time I went boozing was at the end of October.  When I bought a round, my half, a pint, and a spiced rum and coke, it cost over eight quid, 8 bloody quid.  That's nearly a tenner for goodness sake.  It's a flavoured liquid not a fucking lifestyle choice.  Honestly.  I ask you.  Etc. 

The last pub visited on that night out was The Hallamshire, also on Commonside.  The three of us on entering the premises increased the average age by 50%, and it was packed, and it's a big pub.  Back when I used to eat meat, and could drink pints (those two things are not connected), I used to go to The Hallamshire on a Sunday morning for the roast pork sandwich and the hair of the dog.  Les was the landlord at the time, and the performance of the roast pork, the carving, and the delivery, was something else.  It was a delight.  I suspect that being the age of the current clientele at the time may have helped.  Although the age mix then covered a broader spectrum.  There was always a sense of occasion about it.  A touch of The League of Gentlemen and the 'special stuff'.

I'm sure the current occupiers of the place are building their own histories.  There may be pork involved.








No comments:

Post a Comment