Saturday 15 November 2014

Day 29, more study


How hard can it be to find 12.5 hours a week? Why am I asking? It’s roughly the number of hours needed to do a 30 credit course over 6 months. As a general rule 1 credit is the equivalent of 10 hours of work. This tends to equate to between 12 and 15 hours of work per week over the 26 weeks of 30 credit course. I’ve put a finger in the air and chosen 12.5 hours as the amount of time I would need to find per week. If I was to do a masters course I’d need to keep this up for 3 years. That is for 6 courses amounting to a total of 180 credits.

I have not decided whether I want to do a masters course or not. The concerns I have are whether I can find the time and whether I have the motivation, not to mention the cost. Counting the time that I have already committed to other things shows that most Tuesday nights are busy as well as quite a few Saturday afternoons. That leaves four weekday evenings and at least one and a half days over the weekend, each week. It must be possible to find the amount of time needed from within those days. With that in mind I’ve decided to spend time studying subjects that I have books for already. It will cost nothing and will give me an idea whether I can build the motivation. If I can maintain this for a few months and it becomes a habit then I will decide whether this is something that I want to commit to for a longer period.

Having said that I might find that studying free material that I already have may be an option in itself even if I can’t maintain the number of hours. Just looking at the number of hours available it appears possible. However account needs to be taken of cooking, shopping, tidying, and other life maintenance.




2 comments:

  1. Thought about a MOOC / futurelearn perhaps? Seems like a way you could test your commitment without any cost risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete, I tried a couple of MOOCs after I'd finished my degree. I wasn't happy with the quality or depth of the material although I'm prepared to take another look as that may be down to the types of courses I'd chosen.

    ReplyDelete