Saturday 13 December 2014

Day 57, school report


In the midst of tidying up, reorganising, and throwing stuff out, I found many documents that I'd inherited.  The one below is my school report.  There are a few interesting features.

"By far the brightest boy in the class."  Well if they hadn't put me in the 'c' stream that might not have been the case.  When I'd arrived a couple of years previously they dropped me down a level shortly after I started and the next year refused to move me back up.

The teacher in the lower stream had an unusual method for trying to get me to improve my 'joined up' handwriting.  For each time I connected a 'w' by the wrong part he said he would punch me on the arm, which he did.  My Mum turned up and suggested that if he was going to do that then she'd ask my very much larger than him, ex-steelworker, Dad to come over from Sheffield and give him the same treatment.  He didn't do it again.  Not sure if the chap bore a grudge but perhaps the refusal to move me up at the end of the previous year was related to that.

Apparently my spelling was worthy of an 'A', which is not so convincing when you see how the teacher spells 'absent' in the comment.


"No mark.  Abscent for tests."

My effort appears to have been consistent throughout, although the judgement of these people is open to question.



No comments:

Post a Comment