Monday 1 December 2014

Day 45, rotate, click, snap, click


It is day 45.  The 7 inch single.  They were 45s.  I have a few, though no mechanism to play them.  A needle, a matchbox, and spin the single on the end of a pen, that should do it.

Sometimes a fresh single wouldn't have been pressed cleanly.  My copy of Golden Brown by The Stranglers is one of these.  It has a wavy edge and and an unclean intro-groove.  So it jumps, clicks, snaps, and makes a sshhhhhsh sound.  It did the last time I played it anyway, which may not be the case any longer since it's been wedged in a box with loads of other singles and may have been flattened a little.

These problems could affect albums too.  There's a similar effect at the start of my copy of Wish You Were Here.  Given who the album is by it was a while before I twigged that it wasn't meant to start like that...






Will this do?

No comments:

Post a Comment