Sunday 8 November 2015

Day 387, Suckers wild


Yes it's time for barrel scraping attempts at puns.  Puns that don't even make sense.

It's almost as if the author has turned into a front-page writer for one of the tabloids.

This is where the turnaround comes, a tenuous link leading to ...

The right-wing press and their support for all things Tory.  There's precious little in any of these tedious rags about any of the parlous and menacing things these dreadful clowns are up to, they are more concerned about the angle that Jeremy Corbyn bows at than any serious danger to society.

Let's look vaguely at one of the piss-poor things this Government are up to, by reading a not quite as right wing newspaper.  - yes, I know we shouldn't take any newspaper reporting at face value without understanding the political aims of the owners but in this case the owners are not a tiny group of immensely wealthy political donors to the Tory party, or any other party.

Our current government has decided that due to the enormous majority (it's tiny, tiny majority) that it can do whatever the fuck it likes.

Let's spy on everyone's emails.

Let's listen to everyone's phone calls.

And let's spy on all our internet activity.

That last point is the subject of this Guardian article, Theresa May's threat to the privacy of reading, which discusses the draft investigatory powers bill.

Being aware that we are being watched has the effect of causing us to moderate and change what we might read.  Where what would have been private reading online is now open to access by anyone with authority.  

The impact of this is described by the American Library Association thus - “The possibility of surveillance, whether direct or through access to records of speech, research and exploration, undermines a democratic society ...”

A sucker

Do we still have a democratic society, when we have a government elected by 37% of the votes cast, and able to wreak havoc using policy that wasn't even in their manifesto? 

Maybe we should just give up, what is the point in aiming for a fair society when so many can't see the benefit.

As someone in the comments section (never read the comments though, seriously) said with regard to attitudes:

I don't care about the right to privacy as I have nothing to hide.
I don't care about free speech as I have nothing to say.
I don't care about the right to education as I have nothing to learn.
I don't care about freedom of movement as I have nowhere to go.
I don't care about the right to protest as I have nothing to complain about.
I don't care about the right to a fair trial as I have committed no crimes.
I don't care about the right to assembly as I have no one to associate with.
I don't care about freedom of thought as I have nothing to think about.
I don't care about freedom from torture as I have no feelings of pain.
I don't care about freedom of conscientious beliefs as I have no conscience.
I don't care about human rights as I have no humanity left in me.



And as the article goes on to suggest, the great British public are notoriously naive and profligate when it comes to giving up hard won rights.

Suckers.




For official/internal use only:
7777
0-9

No comments:

Post a Comment