Monday 6 July 2015

Day 262, War memories, or not, your go



Let me tell you my war memories and about when I was in the SAS.

...

Oh, there aren't any.

Just not old enough I'm afraid.  Not unless it's anything since The Falklands which of course means there are plenty of memories of having seen it first hand on the TV.  And I was never in the SAS.

This though is something of a load of old padding before we get into the real meat of the matter.

What we have below is a 100% accurate representation of what it was like to be a prisoner in Colditz.

The guards could only move one space at a time, there were handily marked escape routes, and the location of tools and other items to be utilised in any escaper were obviously labelled.  All very efficiently organised and true to life.

As it says on the box the game was devised by Major P.R.Reid, M.B.E., M.C.  Or, Pat Reid as he was also known.  He was one of the few prisoners to escape from Colditz Castle, and the excellent story is told in his book The Colditz Story.


I love this game, though rarely play it.  It has forged papers, wooden pieces, Do or Die cards, lots of stuff that makes it ideal to become an iconic or even fetish item.  And look, it has a type of map too, lovely.

I've escaped from Colditz more times than Pat Reid, though not really that many as it's difficult to get a chance to play.

Anyway, this game is much better than my non-existent war memories.  And better than pretending to be a member of the SAS, which is what some people do.

What?

You've never met one of those people?  Well let me tell you which pubs to go into...




For official/internal use only:
6677
0-9

No comments:

Post a Comment