Wednesday 7 January 2015

Day 82, physical data destruction


Not having the wherewithal of a Google to destroy old hard disks then us mere mortals have to resort to more fundamental methods.  Previously having used a pickaxe to mash-up a hard disk beyond re-use, on this occasion I have taken a less physically demanding or hazardous approach.


The smallest Torx screwdriver I had available was enough to reduce the disk to this level of component decomposition.




Then using some leverage, applied by the not entirely appropriate use of a couple of flat-blade screwdrivers, and the application of some abrasion to the surface of the platters, we have this.




The platters are now in the shape of a butterfly bun, or more trendily, a cup cake.

If anyone can recover the data from these disks then they can have it, it absolutely won't be worth it.  And if they have the technology to recover any data from this disk then I'm pretty sure they have the technology to retrieve data from my internet connection, or tap and record the micro-radio transmissions from each key-press on my keyboard, or bug my optic nerves.

So good luck.


I would have linked to the Google disk crush video but it appears to have been removed.









No comments:

Post a Comment