Thursday 27 October 2016

Day 741, Hissing Model B


It's not the most erudite piece of BASIC coding ever but it shows the machine works.*

After quite some faffing about to get the video working it became apparent that I actually had the right sort of input on one of my monitors.  With a bit of judicious wire poking into the BNC socket on the back of the BBC Model B it released some video, and below is the output.

It was obvious that the PSU on the Model B was suffering slightly so I didn't want to leave it on for too long.  The capacitors were making a high pitched whistling sound indicating that they need replacing, which is to be expected on a machine this age.  I'll replace the capacitors.

As can be seen by the 1770 DFS displayed at boot time it has successfully detected the disk ROM, there are also a couple of disk drives, although I have no disks.  I should have typed the ROMS command in case it hadn't revealed all at startup, that command will list all installed ROM chips.


* Far less rude than the sort of things that used to be displayed on any early 1980's department store computer which they had been foolish enough to allow adolescent boys near unsupervised.  I never did such things myself.

For official/internal use only:
7676
0-9

No comments:

Post a Comment