Saturday 9 June 2018

Week 188, Training walk notes


I'm doing The Big Walk 2018 in support of the Sheffield Scanner

I walked part of the route this morning, 31km (19.2 miles). Starting from the 51 terminus I walked to the Redmires Conduit to join the route. Even at 8am it was obvious that it was going to be a very hot day - which hadn't matched with the weather forecast.

First thing to note, I carry a lot of water. I tend to walk with a brisk pace, I pour with sweat even on the coldest days when walking and don't need any layers other than a thin walking top and shorts.  I started with 3 litres of water.

Second thing to note, I was carrying a lot of additional equipment. I wasn't expecting it to be this hot and know that the weather can turn quite rapidly, there were parts of the route I hadn't walked and didn't know what to expect. I was wearing lightweight Merrell walking shoes but had a pair of boots attached to the back of my pack just in case, I had two spare pairs of socks, a thin fleece, a waterproof top and waterproof trousers and other bits and pieces. I've got wet when walking before and it is miserable, however I think I can dispense with the boots and some of the other items now I know the terrain, the only chance of getting wet is if there is torrential rain.

Third thing to note, the roughness of the terrain. I've often been down the Loxley valley to Low Bradfield and am comfortable with that, the same is true of the route out to Stanage Edge. Most of the rest of the route isn't particularly hard going, however, the 2km/1.25miles leading up to Derwent edge was quite hard going wearing walking shoes. I expect wearing boots for that section would make some difference but the diameter of the rocks laid to make to prevent erosion has created a very uncomfortable surface to walk on - and it is a decent gradient uphill too.  This was up through Highshaw Clough and up past the Grouse Butts. Other parts of the route across White Tor, Derwent Edge to Back Tor are slightly rocky in places but no big deal.  After Back Tor it becomes very dull for a very long time, there is no cover, it is almost completely featureless apart from the heather and the bits of wildlife, and it goes on, and on, and on. Almost 10km of this, nearly 6 miles. It's a relief to see trees above the dams at Bradfield.

Fourth thing to note, the fields above Bradfield contain some interesting wildlife. I almost stood on an Aberdeen Angus, which you would think quite difficult for something the size of a 4 by 4, it was lying down so was only the size of small 4 x 4. It appeared to be as surprised by me as I was by it, and then there was another one not far from that which was standing and pointing it's massive horns in my direction. They appeared unconcerned so I walk on muttering to myself, which the third one (again completely invisible until this point) heard and decided was some sort of call which it chose to respond to. Actually the first one of these three looked more like some sort of bull and distinctly not like the other two which were definitely highland cattle. It was either a very benign bull or not a bull, either way it was a monster of a beast.

Once I hit Low Bradfield I caught the bus back into Hillsborough and then another to Crookes.

During the walk I consumed 3 bananas, 3 energy bars and 2.75 litres of water. I took 5 hours thirty minutes to do this stretch, that includes having a chat with other colleagues doing training I passed on the way.

I'm now going to have a beer, it is standard advice for replenishing nutrients, electrolyte and minerals after this type of activity.

A big sky - approaching The Wheel Stones (coach and horses rock formation)

For official/internal use only:
8888


No comments:

Post a Comment