Wednesday 16 May 2018

Week 184, Post-millennial angst


Listening to The News Quiz on the Home Service - or wireless 4 as I know it, or indeed BBC Radio 4 to anyone born after Thatcher - I discover that I have now been moved, evicted from Generation X to that of the status of Baby Boomer.

Sod that.

I'm the very definition of a 'latchkey kid', disaffected youth with the characteristics of that of a slacker and being influenced by hip-hop and grunge.

For goodness sake I couldn't afford to buy a house until I was in my forties, come on now, how un-Boomer is that?

So who falls for this categorisation? - well, me clearly as I'm mightily unimpressed by being moved from the way more hip sounding X generation to the frankly staid Boomer...

Obviously, being of the X generation I have great cynicism about this type of arbitrary demographic categorisation. However, Wikipedia has this to say about Generation X:

Guides regarding managing multiple generations in the workforce describe Gen Xers as: independent, resourceful, self-managing, adaptable, cynical, pragmatic, skeptical of authority, and as seeking a work life balance.

In the United Kingdom, a 2016 study of over 2,500 office workers conducted by Workfront found that survey respondents of all ages selected those from Generation X as the hardest-working employees in today's workforce (chosen by 60%). Gen X was also ranked highest among fellow workers for having the strongest work ethic (chosen by 59.5%), being the most helpful (55.4%), the most skilled (54.5%), and the best troubleshooters/problem solvers (41.6%).


And who am I to argue with the amassed knowledge and accuracy of Wikipedia.  Just be sure not to put us X'ers in the wrong category, otherwise we will rise up against you, and your authority will be tested severely.

...if we can get round to it.*



Me in grunge mode, too poor to afford sleeves


* The slacker instinct is still strong.

For official/internal use only:
7777

2 comments: