Wednesday 8 April 2015

Day 173, height time weight, think of a number, Naz's big hole



On the way to work after having had the NHS MOT (for those over the age of forty) I passed this delight.

Naz's Big Hole, as it came to be known for a while.  The site was (may still be) owned by the former boxer Prince Naseem Hamed and for a while had some graffiti, "Naz's Hole", sprayed on the wall on one side.



The picture doesn't do it justice, it really is quite a large hole.  It used to be part of the string of reservoirs that ran down the hill.

The question is then, have any other boxers purchased as significant an amount of empty space as this?

A moment of Googling doesn't reveal anything about empty space purchased by boxers.  However it does make depressing reading about how many of them have ended up homeless, with mental health problems, in prison, after spending millions on drugs, booze, ill-advised investments, and being ripped off, etc.  So I stopped looking.

Maybe the purchase of the big hole wasn't such a bad thing, at least it retained its essential characteristic of being a void. Perhaps Naz still has his Ferrari and his fleet of black Range Rovers, and the big hole.  Perhaps someone should look into it.

I'm really sorry about that.

So the health MOT.

I didn't pass that.  The nurse said I had a high BMI.  I said "that's because you measured me at my fattest bit", she was having none of it. BMI isn't a very good way of determining whether a person contains too much fat, how many people are going to be anywhere near average on a Gaussian distribution of height against weight?



Not many.

And if you are of more slight or more bulky build then you will be at one end or the other, I'm pretty substantial even without the layer of fat round the stomach.

That sounds like an excuse doesn't it.

My understanding is that Naz has bulked up a bit since he stopped boxing, and not in the low BMI way.

Maybe I should take up boxing.

On the plus side as I booked the GP appointment the receptionist said "ooh I just accidentally saw your age, you don't look it."*

I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing but it's shared nonetheless.





* I am twenty seven and look nine hundred and seventy eight.







No comments:

Post a Comment