Friday 31 October 2014

Day 14, AD 10


This socketed bronze spear head from Luristan (modern day west-central Iran) dates from 800-600BC and is 14.4cm in length.


These were usually buried with their owners.  There are many thousands of them in circulation, and many thousands in the basements of museums across the planet.

It occurred to me, as I received it as a birthday present and mortality was at the forefront of my mind for some reason, that it will be around long after I am gone.

Out of all the things I have in my possession I get the feeling that the ones that will be around in hundreds or thousands of years time will be the ones that were around hundreds or thousands of years before me.  As well as this and a few other artefacts there will be fossils, rocks, and meteorite fragments, remaining stationary in time while leaving me behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment